Heat Pump Water Heater Rebates
Water heaters are typically the second highest source of energy use in your home behind heating and cooling systems. If you currently have a standard electric water heater, you can reduce your hot water costs by up to 60% by installing a heat pump water heater (HPWH). That means greater energy efficiency and big savings on your utility bill. HPWHs have similar tank sizes compared with standard electric water heaters and feature the same range of temperature adjustments.
To help you decide whether switching to a HPWH is right for your home, here is an easy-to-use interactive tool.
Heat Pump Water Heater Rebate Details*
We offer eligible property owners a $500 rebate towards the purchase and installation of a qualifying HPWH in a home or rental property up to four units. There is a limit of one rebate per HPWH or a maximum of two rebates per home or living unit. Additional rebates may also be available from product manufacturers, so talk with a licensed contractor for details.
- Product must meet our Heat Pump Water Heater Program Specifications
- Product must be a Tier 3 HPWH and be listed on the BPA Qualified Products List
- HPWH must replace a standard electric water heater
- HPWH must be installed according to the manufacturer’s specifications
- Homeowner must acquire all relevant permits prior to installation
If you are installing the HPWH yourself, in addition to the above requirements:
- You must submit copies of product receipts or invoices
- Rebate applies only to materials, not labor costs
- Rebate cannot exceed the cost of materials
- Rental properties and condominiums with five or more units per building
How to Apply
Simply fill out the relevant application below, check the box next to the rebate you want to claim and submit it to us.
Additional Documents and Checklists
Owner-Occupied Documents Checklist
Rental Property Documents Checklist (up to 4 units)
*Program requirements and rebate amounts are subject to change without notice. Check with Tacoma Power for current information. Energy and heating savings are estimates only. Actual savings may vary. Tacoma Power does not make any representations, promises or warranties with respect to actual cost savings from any of the products. Tacoma Power does not endorse any particular contractor, manufacturer or product.