Hybrid Water Heater
If your water heater is more than 10 years old, now is the time to replace it
Most people don’t think about their water heater until it stops working, leaving no time to consider the best replacement option. Unplanned water heater replacements often come with high stress, expensive costs, and few options. Don’t find yourself in that situation! There’s a better way — upgrade now to a hybrid water heater.
Why you should upgrade your water heater to a hybrid version
Utility bill savings: Standard electric water heaters are the second largest energy user in your home. They use more energy than your refrigerator, dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer combined. Replacing your electric water heater with a hybrid version can save you a lot of money and lower your utility bill — about $350 each year, which equals $3,500 over the life of the water heater.
Energy efficiency: Hybrid water heaters are extremely energy efficient and use 60% less energy than standard electric versions. The energy savings you’ll receive means the hybrid water heater will pay for itself within a few years.
Easy to use: Setting up your water heater and adjusting it for maximum efficiency and performance is easy with a hybrid water heater. Using the touch of a button on the display panel, you can set the temperature you like or select from four operating modes, including vacation mode. The electronic controls and display also shows you maintenance reminders and will alert you to any issues.
Peace of mind: Hybrid water heaters are designed to last and come with a 10-year limited warranty (instead of the 6-year warranty that comes with standard electric water heaters).
Incentives we offer for hybrid water heaters
We offer three incentives to help you pay to upgrade your water heater. You can choose one of these:
- Details for $500 off at local stores
We’ve reduced the price of hybrid water heaters by $500 at The Home Depot and Lowe’s. When you buy from one of these stores, you’ll save $500 right at the register. There’s no need to submit a rebate form or receipt to Tacoma Power.
Note: If you get a $500 instant store discount, you’re not eligible for a hybrid water heater loan or rebate.
- Details for a $500 rebate
Whether you hire a contractor or purchase and install your own hybrid water heater, you can get a rebate up to $500 to reimburse you for part of your project costs. The rebate is to cover the cost of materials (not labor costs), and the rebate cannot exceed the cost of your materials.
In order to qualify for the rebate, you must:
- Acquire all relevant permits prior to installation
- Be replacing a standard electric water heater with a hybrid version
- Adhere to these water heater program specifications
- Ensure the water heater is on the BPA Qualified Products list
- Install the water heater according to the manufacturer’s specifications
- Be a Tacoma Power customer
How to apply for a rebate:
You have two ways to request a rebate – online or by mailing in a paper application. Either way, you’ll need to include a copy of your receipt. Request your rebate here:
- Details for a $2,200 loan
If you’re not interested in the package deal with Great Northwest Installations, and want to hire a different contractor, we can help you pay for that, too. We offer a 3-year loan with 0% interest up to $2,200 towards the purchase and installation of a new hybrid water heater.
In order to qualify for the loan, you must:
- Use a Tacoma Power Participating Contractor to purchase and install your hybrid water heater
- Own the home and land where the hybrid water heater is installed
- Have good utility payment history
- Be a Tacoma Power customer
- Agree to pay any project costs that exceed the loan amount
How to get started:
- Pick a Tacoma Power Participating Contractor (or a few) to give you some bids for the purchase and installation of your new hybrid water heater. Not only will Participating Contractors tell you the project cost, they will advise you on the best tank size and placement for your home and needs.
- Once you’ve selected your Participating Contractor and hybrid water heater, you can work together to fill out your project application.
- Submit your application to Tacoma Power for pre-approval.
- Once your loan application is approved, your Participating Contractor will get to work with your hybrid water heater upgrade.
*Program requirements and rebate amounts are subject to change without notice. Check with Tacoma Power for current information. Energy and heating savings are estimates only. Actual savings may vary. Tacoma Power does not make any representations, promises or warranties with respect to actual cost savings from any of the products. Tacoma Power does not endorse any particular contractor, manufacturer or product.