Request Community Support
Tacoma Public Utilities is proud to support registered 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organizations that share our goals of energy conservation, environmental protection, professional development for TPU employees and other select causes that serve a proper utility purpose. Examples of such purposes include:
- Investing in nonprofit capital projects that promote power or water conservation.
- Promoting utility-related professional development for our employees and partners or similar activities that support recruitment for utility-specific jobs.
- Helping us practice environmental protection, stewardship or conservation in accordance with our Environmental Policy.
- Building relationships and communicating with hard-to-reach or under served audiences by:
- Creating opportunities for translation of our messages about conservation, safety and other issues for customers who are non-English speakers.
- Reaching out to customers eligible for specific savings programs or discount rates.
- Seeking opportunities to educate customers about how conserving power and water also lowers utility bills.
Due to legal requirements set forth in the Charter of the City of Tacoma and the Washington State Constitution, we cannot accept funding requests for the following:
- Scholarships for individuals to attend camps, schools, pageants, tours, trips or similar activities
- Sports teams or sporting-related events
- Political organizations or candidates for political office
- Organizations that discriminate against any group
- Programs that promote or endorse a specific religious affiliation
- Enclosures to be mailed with utility bills
- Programs outside of our service or project areas
- For-profit organizations
- More than one request per organization per year
- Anything that violates our prohibition against making gifts of public funds
- How to Request Funding
We use an application and review process to identify events and organizations that best meet our program funding criteria. Our decision will be based on several factors including available budget and resources and benefits to the community.
To request funding for your nonprofit organization, first complete our online Request for Funds Application and attach any other information that will help us evaluate your request. You must also include the following with the completed request form:
- A copy of your Department of the Treasury or IRS letter indicating 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status.
- A list of board of directors or equivalent information.
To request a paper copy of the application form, email Christina Turner or call 253-502-8225.
All funding requests will be evaluated by the Director of Utilities and our executive management team. Funding is not automatically renewed or guaranteed from year to year.
Application deadlines for 2020:
1st application deadline: Jan. 10 | Notification date: Feb. 7
2nd application deadline: April 3 | Notification date: May 10
3rd application deadline: July 10 | Notification date: Aug. 7
Final application deadline for 2020: Oct. 2 | Notification date: Nov. 6
Direct funding questions to Christina Turner, 253-502-8225.