Our Advanced Meter Project will provide you with greater control, choice, and convenience. We will update 180,000 electric and 107,000 water meters with modern digital technology that brings many new customer benefits over time, including monthly billing, remote electric service reconnection, more options to control your costs, improved reliability through faster outage and leak detection, and more flexible payment options in a safe and secure way. Meter installations began in late 2020 and are expected to last 18 to 24 months.
Have questions about how this impacts you or your business?
- Does COVID-19 change the importance of Advanced Metering?
You are our priority – especially with the health and economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Advanced Metering will provide you with the benefits you’ve asked for – more options to control costs, monthly billing, and additional flexible payment options – each beneficial during uncertain economic times. Faster outage and leak detection capabilities also allow us to locate and restore services sooner. We know there is a lot of interest within our communities for new programs enabled by Advanced Metering and we are dedicated to realizing these benefits. Advanced Metering is an essential building block of TPU’s infrastructure, has been a strategic focus for the past five years, and will modernize TPU services now and in the future.
Many of the power and water meters in our system today use technology that hasn’t changed much over the last 75 years. Old technology limits the services available. Most of our meters have reached the end of their lifespan and need to be updated to provide you with reliable service.
- Advanced Meter Policy Updates
The Advanced Meter project includes updating existing utility policies, and in some cases, creating new policies. Policy recommendations are bought to the Public Utility Board for approval. As policy updates or new policies are brought forward, we will provide the drafts here for public review. If you have a question or comment about any of the draft policies, please submit using this form. Submissions are reviewed by our staff regularly.
- Program policies overview
- Program policies update and prepay overview
- Program policies discussion: Opt-out and customer side repairs
- Program and policies update
- Program, meter installation vendor, and customer side repairs update
- Adopted Water Service Line Grant and Loan Program
- Adopted Tacoma Municipal Code Revisions (December 2020)
- Adopted Tacoma Municipal Code Revisions (September 2020)
- Adopted Customer Service Policy Revisions
- Adopted Revisions to Tacoma Power Staff Procedures
- Adopted Advanced Metering Customer Side Repair Policy
- Adopted Water Customer Service Policy Revisions
Never miss an update!
Subscribe to our monthly email newsletter for residential customers or our quarterly newsletter for business customers!
Would you like to ask a question?
Use the form below to submit a comment about the meter upgrade project. All comments are reviewed by TPU.
Your benefits over time