Tree Coupon Program
The 2019-2020 Tree Coupon Program is now closed for the season. Please check back again in October 2020 for your chance to get a discount on trees from your local nursery!
Unfortunately, we cannot extend the deadline of this program. If you were unable to redeem your coupon because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you will still be eligible to request a new coupon for the next planting season. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Support Growing Tacoma’s Tree Canopy Cover
Join the City of Tacoma in increasing our urban tree canopy cover to 30% by 2030 and get discounts from Tacoma Power through local nurseries.
Planting more trees reduces stormwater runoff and pollution, and keeps overall temperatures more moderate. A well-placed tree can cool temperatures by as much as 9 degrees in hot summer months and create more light in the winter when it sheds its leaves.
Last year, we partnered with the City of Tacoma Department of Environmental Services – Urban Forestry Program to provide customers with tree coupons to use toward the purchase of trees from participating garden centers or nurseries.
Coupons are valid from Oct. 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020 or until funding is exhausted for the 2019-2020 season.
Tacoma Power customers are eligible for the coupon program. Eligible recipients will receive a coupon and information on tree planting and growing.
Things to know before you plant:
- Tree dimensions at maturity so you can plant it far enough away from your foundation, roofline or any other structures it could grow into
- Plant deciduous trees on the SW or SE side of your home for summer shade and winter sun
- Plant evergreen trees to block winter winds
- Call 8-1-1 before you dig the hole for your new tree to make sure you won’t hit any utility lines
- Avoid planting under power lines
- Rather than using a garden hose, consider watering bags or buckets to help save water
- Water your trees in early mornings or late evenings
For tips on strategically planting your tree, download Tacoma Power’s Shade Tree postcard. Visit the City of Tacoma’s Tree Coupon Program web page and Tacoma Power’s Right Tree, Right Place web page for more information on how to properly plant and care for your tree.
- Limited to one coupon per household and coupons are valid for the purchase of up to three trees per household.
- If your household has already redeemed a coupon in the past, you are not eligible for this year’s program.
- Coupons are valid for the purchase of trees only from participating garden centers/nurseries.
- Only Pierce County residents are eligible at this time due to the source of funding.
- The coupons are not transferable or redeemable for cash.
- The minimum redemption value is $30.
- The maximum redemption value is $90.
Coupons are valid only at select tree retailers during the program season for $30 off trees that are at least five-gallon size. Coupons are valid from October 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020 or until funding is exhausted, for the 2019-20 season.