Tree Coupon Program
The 2020-2021 Tree Coupon Program is now open from October 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021! To apply for your tree coupon, fill out the Tree Coupon Application Form now.
Support Growing Tacoma’s Tree Canopy Cover
Join the City of Tacoma in increasing our urban tree canopy cover to 30% by 2030 and get discounts from Tacoma Power through local nurseries.
Planting more trees reduces stormwater runoff and pollution, and keeps overall temperatures more moderate. A well-placed tree can cool temperatures by as much as 9 degrees in hot summer months and create more light in the winter when it sheds its leaves.
We have partnered with the City of Tacoma Department of Environmental Services – Urban Forestry Program to provide customers with tree coupons to use toward the purchase of trees from participating garden centers or nurseries.
Coupons are valid from Oct. 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 or until funding is exhausted for the 2020-2021 season.
Tacoma Power customers and residents of Pierce County are eligible for the coupon program. Eligible recipients will receive a coupon and information on tree planting and growing.
Things to know before you plant:
- Tree dimensions at maturity so you can plant it far enough away from your foundation, roofline or any other structures it could grow into
- Plant deciduous trees on the SW or SE side of your home for summer shade and winter sun
- Plant evergreen trees to block winter winds
- Call 8-1-1 before you dig the hole for your new tree to make sure you won’t hit any utility lines
- Avoid planting under power lines
- Rather than using a garden hose, consider watering bags or buckets to help save water
- Water your trees in early mornings or late evenings
For tips on strategically planting your tree for energy conservation, download Tacoma Power’s Shade Tree postcard. Visit Tacoma Power’s Right Tree, Right Place web page for more information on how to plant around utilities, and visit the City of Tacoma’s tree planting web page for information about tree selection, planting, maintenance, and more.
- Limited to one coupon per household and coupons are valid for the purchase of up to three trees per household.
- If your household has already redeemed a coupon in the past three years, you are not eligible for this year’s program.
- Coupons are valid for the purchase of trees only from participating garden centers/nurseries.
- Only Pierce County residents are eligible due to the source of funding.
- The coupons are not transferable or redeemable for cash.
- The minimum redemption value is $30.
- The maximum redemption value is $90.
Coupons are valid only at select tree retailers during the program season for $30 off trees that are at least five-gallon size. Coupons are valid from October 1, 2020 to March 31, 2021 or until funding is exhausted, for the 2020-2021 season.