Smart Irrigation Business Rebate
Using a weather-based irrigation controller can reduce water waste and lower your utility bill. A smart controller automatically adjusts the watering schedule based on local weather data, soil and plant types to create a customized watering schedule. Some smart controllers respond to a small weather sensor installed on your property while others get information from local weather stations. Many smart controllers are Wi-Fi enabled and connect to your mobile device. Smartphone users can then access, operate and monitor their irrigation system from anywhere. Perfect for small, large, and multifamily property businesses.
Installing a WaterSense labeled controller:
- Saves your business money: eliminates overwatering to save money and reduce waste.
- Maintains attractive grounds: helps landscapes flourish and remain healthy by providing the right amount of water for each plant zone.
- Provides convenience: saves time and effort by allowing you to set it and forget it.
Smart Irrigation Rebate Details*
We offer Tacoma Water business and multi-family property customers a rebate of 50% (up to $500 per account) of the purchase price of one or more qualifying WaterSense smart irrigation controller(s) and/or add-on(s) or plug-in device(s). The rebate is available whether you install it yourself or hire a contractor to do the work. The rebate is limited to one per business or multifamily account number. Indoor irrigation controllers also qualify if all other criteria are met.
- Smart controller(s) and/or add-on(s) or plug-in(s) must be included on the EPA’s WaterSense Product Search Page.
- Proof of purchase of controllers that do not have smart technology built in must be paired with the proof of purchase of compatible WaterSense labelled plug-in(s) or add-on(s).
- The name on the rebate application must be associated with an active Tacoma Water business account.
Not eligible: Irrigation controllers without smart technology or a weather sensor added on or plugged in.
Apply for a rebate
Applications will only be accepted within 90 days after installation is complete.
- Simply fill out our Smart Irrigation Rebate Application.
- Attach a copy of the purchase invoice(s)/receipt(s).
- Click the “Submit” button.
- You will be notified by email within two (2) weeks if your application is approved or if we need more information.
- If approved, you will receive an email from DocuSign requesting your signature on the rebate agreement.
- If the application requires an inspection of the installed device(s), is incomplete, or if you are not eligible, you will receive an email with next steps, from: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After you sign and submit the agreement via DocuSign, allow 8-12 weeks for the rebate to appear on your Tacoma Water account.
If you have any questions about the program or product eligibility or if you would like a paper copy of the application, call Tacoma Water at 253-502-8723.
To learn more, see our Rebate FAQs below.
Recycle your old irrigation controller box at any Ewing Irrigation Supply location.
Looking for smart irrigation rebates for your residential property? You can find details by clicking here.
*Program requirements and rebate amounts are subject to change without notice. Check with Tacoma Water for current information. Water savings are estimates only. Actual savings may vary. Tacoma Water does not make any representations, promises or warranties with respect to actual cost savings from any of the products. Tacoma Water does not endorse any particular contractor, manufacturer, or product.
- What do you mean by irrigation?
Irrigation is defined as automated water application to a landscape or yard to help plants grow. This could be a sprinkler system, drip irrigation system, soaker system, or other automated watering system.
- What is a smart irrigation controller?
A smart controller automatically adjusts the watering schedule based on local weather data, soil, and plant types to create a customized watering schedule. Some smart controllers respond to a small weather sensor installed on your property while others get information from local weather stations. Some smart controllers are Wi-Fi enabled and connect to your mobile device. Smartphone users can access, operate and monitor their irrigation system from anywhere.
- How does a weather-based irrigation controller work?
Weather-based controllers use local evapotranspiration (ET) data to determine irrigation requirements and the watering schedule. As ET values change in response to temperature, wind, humidity, and sunlight so does a plant’s need for water. As ET values increase and plants require more water, the controller uses this information to add more time to the watering schedule. Smart controllers also use site factors such as microclimate, plant type, soil type, slope, and method of irrigation to inform the watering schedule.
- How much water can I save?
EPA estimates that a large portion of water used in landscapes is wasted due to inefficient irrigation systems and methods. Irrigation control technologies can significantly reduce overwatering by applying water only when plants need it. Your actual water savings will depend upon your irrigation system efficiency.
- What is an irrigation zone?
An area of an irrigation system controlled by a single valve and served by similar sprinkler types. Zones are usually chosen by grouping similar soil types, plants with similar water requirements, and/or similar exposure to sunlight. Irrigation controllers are capable of managing a certain number of zones (often 4, 8, or 16.) You may or may not have all zones active depending on how your system is laid out. There is no minimum zone requirement for this rebate.
- Where can I buy a smart irrigation controller?
Eligible products may be available at irrigation supply stores, home improvement stores, and online retailers. Be sure the product appears on the EPA’s WaterSense Products List in order to be eligible for the Tacoma Water Smart Irrigation rebate.
- How much is the rebate?
Tacoma Water business and multifamily customers can receive a rebate of 50% (up to $500) of the purchase price of any qualifying WaterSense smart irrigation controller and/or add-on or plug-in device.
- Who installs smart irrigation controllers?
They can be installed by a contractor or by the business Owner/employee.
- Can someone who rents their business space receive this rebate?
Yes, renters who are Tacoma Water business customers are eligible for this rebate.
- Can homeowners/residential tenants receive this rebate?
Yes, we offer homeowners/residential tenants who are Tacoma Water customers a rebate for residential properties.
- Can I get a rebate on more than one smart irrigation controller?
Yes. However, the program is limited to one rebate per metered account; you can apply and receive a rebate only one time. Businesses can submit proof of multiple controllers and/or add-on or plug-in devices. The maximum rebate is $500 total, no matter how many controllers/devices were installed.
- How long after installation do I have to submit the rebate application?
Applications are accepted up to a maximum of 90 days after installation. Product purchase date may be more than 90 days prior to application date.
- Will I get a rebate check in the mail?
No. This rebate will appear as a credit on your Tacoma Public Utilities business account 8-12 weeks after processing.
- Is an inspection required?
Tacoma Water reserves the right to an inspection if application is incomplete or more information is needed. If an inspection cannot be completed, Program rebate payment may be withdrawn and Owner shall be responsible for the full cost to the Contractor(s).
- Is there a paper application process?
Yes. Customers who do not have an email address can call 253-502-8723 or visit the TPU lobby to obtain a paper copy of the application. The rebate will be applied to the account as an account credit and no check will be mailed.
- Who can I contact with additional questions?
For more information, please call 253-502-8723 or email.