Understanding Your Bill
Your TPU bill contains much more than just the current amount due. It also includes details about your usage, meter readings and other useful information designed to help you conserve energy and water and save money. Below is an overview of your bill.
- Residential customers: Every other month.
- Residential customers using a Budget Billing plan: Every month.
- Commercial customers: Every month.
City of Tacoma Residents Only
If you live within the City of Tacoma, your bill also includes fees for Environmental Services. These include solid waste, recycling, wastewater and surface water. TPU does not manage these services but we do consolidate the separate charges into one utility bill for your convenience.
The front of your bill covers:
- Average cost per day for each utility service (electricity, water, wastewater, solid waste and recycling, surface water)
- Summary of total charges for each utility service
- Number of days in the billing cycle
The back of your bill covers:
- Number of days in the billing cycle and bill issue date
- Detailed list of charges and fees
- Fixed charges for Tacoma Power, Tacoma Water and Wastewater
- Historical graphs of your electricity and water consumption
- Explanation of taxes for each service
- Important phone numbers
- Payment options
View a sample of the front side of a residential bill.
View a sample of the back side of a residential bill.
View a sample of the front side of a commercial bill.
View a sample of the back side of a commercial bill.
If you have any questions about your bill, please contact Customer Services at 253-502-8600 or 800-752-6745.