Home Weatherization Programpower@cityoftacoma.org
Weatherizing your home by updating old windows and insulation can make your home more efficient and comfortable.
If your house was built before 1988, and you have electric heat, there's a good chance these simple upgrades could save you money for years to come. We Offer:
We Cover Up To:
- 50% of the cost to insulate ceilings, floors and walls.
- 25% of the cost to replace inefficient windows.
- 100% of the cost (up to $450) to test and seal your home duct system.
In addition, Our Grant Program may help eligible income-qualified customers cover most of the cost of new windows and insulation.
If you rent, let your landlord or property manager know about rebates available to them. Single family landlords can use our homeowner programs, landlords of buildings with two or more units can learn more about Our Multifamily Program.
How Much Does Weatherizing Cost?
Costs vary for each home. The approximate cost to weatherize an average 1,300 square foot home is about $2,800 after applying our window and insulation rebates. With our available 7-year, 0% interest loan, the average monthly payment is $35 per month.
Manufacturer rebates can be applied to lower costs even further. Ask your contractor about other rebates that might be available for your project.
You'll qualify for pre-approval if:
- You're a current Tacoma Power customer, and
- You use electricity as your primary heat, and
- Your house was built before 1988. and
- Your home's energy use history meets minimum requirements
- To qualify for windows, your home must be fully insulated.
Your contractor will confirm your insulation levels during their free bid and consultation.
- Review all program forms and requirements.
If your home has a historical designation or you live in a historic district, you may need a permit to complete your weatherization project. Not sure? Tacoma residents can use this register search
to find out. Outside of Tacoma, contact the city or county where you live.
- Call a couple of Our Participating Contractors to schedule evaluations and bids.
It will take about an hour to evaluate your home. Contractors will look in your attic, under your floors and in the walls for insulation. They will examine your heating ducts for proper seal and insulation. We recommend at least two bids.
- Ask your contractor about any additional manufacturers' rebates available, event specials or military discounts that may apply.
- When replacing windows, most jurisdictions require you to have a permit. Check with your contractor or the building code official in your area for more information.
- Contact us at (253) 502-8377 or email@example.com with any questions.
- Find out if you qualify for our Zero-Interest Loan or Grant Program.
Your energy savings and project costs will vary. Program requirements and rebate amounts are subject to change without notice. We do not endorse any particular contractor, manufacturer or product. We make no express or implied warranties of these products or installations. There are limits to loans and grants. City of Tacoma employees are eligible for the loan.