Tacoma Power’s Cushman Hydroelectric Project operates under a license issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). Managing the use of the Lake Cushman and Lake Kokanee shorelines is part of Tacoma Power’s license for operating the dams at the Cushman Hydroelectric Project on the North Fork of the Skokomish River.
Managing the shorelines includes ensuring waterfront lessees’ structures (docks, buoys, bulkheads, etc.) and uses are permitted in compliance with Tacoma Power’s FERC-approved Shoreline Management Plan.
If you are a lessee with an existing structure (or plan to build one), please take these steps to find out the status of your structure(s) and obtain the appropriate permits:
1. Start by contacting Shoreline and Lands Coordinator Wynnae Wright at (253) 441-4180 to schedule a pre-application site visit.
2. Review the Shoreline Use Specifications and Permitting Guidelines (SUSPG) handbook. It describes the types of structures and uses that Tacoma Power will allow, identifies specific criteria Tacoma Power applies when reviewing applications and provides standards for construction methods and materials for particular shoreline structures.
3. Based on the (SUSPG) handbook guidelines and your pre-application meeting, determine if your proposed structure or use meets Tacoma Power’s requirements. Contact Wynnae if you have questions or need clarification.
4. Determine if your proposed structure or use meets the requirements of and/or requires a permit from:
- The Lake Cushman Maintenance Company – 360-877-5233.
- Mason County, which has their own Shoreline Management Plan with which your structure will need to comply. Contact Marissa Watson at 360-427-9670 ext. 367.
- Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (you will likely need a Hydraulic Project Approval Permit). Contact Darrin Masters at 360-764-9942.
- Army Corps of Engineers (for any addition of fill including dirt, concrete, rock, or pilings). Contact Jason Sweeney at (206) 764-3450.
6. Send the signed application and supporting materials to:
Tacoma Public Utilities
Real Property Services
PO Box 11007
Tacoma, WA 98411-1007
- Public Meetings
Cushman Shoreline Management Plan Update – Sept. 20, 2019
Cushman Fire Hall | 4 to 6 p.m.
Approximately 75 attendees
- Summary Table
- Table of Proposed Changes
- Comment Form (Please note: comments were due Nov. 1, 2019)
Cushman Shoreline Management Plan Update Materials – Dec. 9, 2017
- PowerPoint presentation
- Shoreline Management Plan – approved by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- Shoreline Use Specifications and Permitting Guidelines
- How to Obtain a Tacoma Power Shoreline Use Permit_2017
- Shoreline Use Permit (SUP) application
- Shoreline Use Permit (SUP) FAQ and Resources_2017
- Shoreline Permitting Flow Chart
- Common Shoreline Use Questions_2017
- 10-Foot Lateral Strip Diagram (Lake Cushman)
- 10-Foot Lateral Strip Diagram (Lake Kokanee)
- Nonconforming Uses Permitting Approach List_2017
- Mooring Buoy Alternative
- Plan Examples
- General questions asked during the meeting
- Additional information
- Most recent letter to shoreline residents with existing structures
- Most recent letter to shoreline residents without existing structures
- If you notice activity that may not be in compliance with Tacoma Power’s shoreline policies, please contact Wildlife and Lands Officer Kyrra Wilson at (253) 502-8824.