Start or Transfer Service
There are two ways to sign up for or transfer service:
- MyAccount (online)*
- Call Customer Service:
*If service is currently disconnected at the location, you will need to contact customer service to sign up for service.
To start service, please notify TPU at least one day prior to your desired start date (via MyAccount or by calling Customer Service). You will need the following information to establish service:
- Physical address where you need service connected
- Social Security Number
- Primary phone number
- Preferred start date
- Mailing address (if different than the physical address)
- Authorized contacts (spouse/roommate)
TPU charges a non-refundable connection fee for establishing new service. The amount of this fee (up to $21.60) varies based on the utility services requested. This fee will be included on your first bill.
Same Day Service Requests:
Requests for same-day connections are subject to an additional fee. Requests made after 12 p.m. for same-day service will be charged an additional $60 connection fee.
Back to Top
Deposits are required for power and water services. Deposit fees are as follows:
- Residential homes - $200
- Apartment buildings with one to four units - $200
- Apartment buildings with five or more units - $100
- Water deposit - $75
Deposits are due 30 days from the start of service. Late deposits may result in disconnection of services without notification. Please contact customer service if you are unable to pay your deposit fee.
TPU will refund your deposit with interest when we’ve received 12 consecutive months of satisfactory payments.
- Home: $200
- Apartment buildings with one to four apartments: $200
- Apartment buildings with five or more apartments: $100
- Water: $75
Deposit Waiver Requests
Deposits may be waived for residential customers if:
- Resident owns the home or property. Mobile home owners must own the land their home is located on to be eligible for a waiver.
- Resident can provide provide a letter of credit from another utility showing continuous service for 12 consecutive months in the past two years
- Furnish a qualified guarantor who will agree to be
- responsible for the bill up to the amount of the deposit.
- The property owner contacts Tacoma Public Utilities to discuss owner guarantee options. However, if the owner guarantee is removed at any time, for any reason, the customer listed on the account will be required to pay the deposit.
Tacoma Public Utilities may request a deposit if a customer used a waiver option and failed to keep the account in good standing.
Back to Top
If your service has been disconnected because of non-payment, the re-connection fees will be as follows:
- Field collection call: all services $10
- Credit re-connection fee (before 4 p.m.): Power $12 | Water $12
- Credit re-connection fee (after 4 p.m.)*: Power $60 | Water $60
- Credit re-connection fee at the pole (before 4 p.m.): Power $40
- Credit re-connection fee at the pole (after 4 p.m.)*: Power $65
- Credit re-connection fee underground (before 4 p.m. only): Power $75
Customers living in outlying areas of our service territory may be subject to different cutoff times and fees. Please call us at (253) 502-8600 for more information.
*After-hours charges apply if the payment is received after 4 p.m. same day and you want service re-connected that same day. You have the option to have your service re-connected the next business day at the day rate.
Back to Top
There are no fees to stop your service. There are two ways to stop service; online via MyAccount or by calling customer service. You will need to provide the following information:
- Date you need the service turned off
- Mailing address (where will the final bill be mailed)