To help you buy energy-efficient products for your home, business or rental property, we offer rebates, loans and deferred loans. These offers could save you hundreds of dollars at the time of purchase and installation — plus you’ll save even more in the long run thanks to lower utility bills. Learn more about our programs for residential properties below or visit our business rebates page.
- Tax credit available for past and future home energy upgrades
If you’ve upgraded your home with energy efficient products in the past or plan to this year, you might be eligible for a tax credit up to $300 that the IRS recently reinstated.
Called the Federal Non-Business Energy Property Tax Credit, it’s available for past and future installs completed from Dec. 31, 2017 through the end of 2020.
Some products that qualify for the tax credit include:
- Heating and cooling systems
- Electric heat pump water heaters
The energy efficient upgrades must be made in your primary, existing home. New construction and rentals do not apply. Of course there are specific requirements that your project will have to meet. Energy Star and the IRS have all those details and the forms you’ll need at bit.ly/300tax.
Eligible project dates
Dec. 31, 2017 to Dec. 31, 2020
How to get the tax credit
- Start a new energy efficient upgrade to your home with a rebate, loan or grant from Tacoma Power.
- If you’ve already completed your project, contact the contractor who installed your equipment to confirm it meets the specific requirements for eligibility. For tax questions, amendments or forms, contact your tax advisor.
If you have questions about our incentive programs or offers, call your Tacoma Power Energy Advisors at 253-502-8363.
How it works
Applying is easy. Simply fill out the relevant application and submit with required documents. Please note it takes four to six weeks to process your application.
- Residential Programs Application (up to 4 units)
- Residential Programs Application (5+ units per building)
- Digital Application (for heat pump water heater and smart thermostat only)
If you plan to use a contractor to complete the work, contact a Tacoma Power Participating Contractor to schedule a free estimate. These approved contractors are qualified to evaluate your home for any energy-efficiency programs we offer.
You have five options for submitting your application:
- Have your contractor submit it directly to us
- Email it to email@example.com
- Fax it to (253) 502-8572
- Mail it to Tacoma Power at CEP, Main Lobby, 3628 S. 35th St., Tacoma, WA 98409-3192
- Drop it off at TPU, Conservation Lobby, 3628 S. 35th St., Tacoma
If you have questions about the rebate process, please call (253) 502-8363 or see our Rebate FAQs.