Support Growing Tacoma’s Tree Canopy Cover
Join the City of Tacoma in increasing our urban tree canopy cover to 30% by 2030 and get discounts from Tacoma Power through local nurseries.
Planting more trees reduces stormwater runoff and pollution, and keeps overall temperatures more moderate. A well-placed tree can cool temperatures by as much as 9 degrees in hot summer months. When located near your home, the right tree can mean cooler temperatures and shelter from summer sun, and more light in the winter when it sheds its leaves.
Tacoma Power is partnering with the City of Tacoma Department of Environmental Services – Urban Forestry Program to provide our customers with $30/tree coupons that can use toward the purchase of up to 5 frees from a participating garden center or nursery.
All Tacoma Power customers are eligible for the coupon program. Eligible recipients will receive a coupon and information on tree planting and growing. Coupons will start being mailed out in August 2018.
Before you plant:
- Know tree dimensions at maturity so you can plant it far enough away from your foundation, roofline or any other structures it could grow into
- Plant deciduous trees on the SW or SE side of your home for summer shade and winter sun
- Plant evergreen trees to block winter winds
- Call 8-1-1 before you dig the hole for your new tree to make sure you won’t hit any gas lines
- Avoid planting under power lines
- Watering bags helps save water
- Water in early mornings or late evenings
For tips on strategically planting your tree, download Tacoma Power’s Shade Tree postcard. Visit the City of Tacoma’s Planting and Growing web page and Tacoma Power’s Right Tree, Right Place web page for more information on how to properly plant and care for your tree.
- Limited to one coupon per household and coupons are valid for the purchase of up to five trees per household.
- Coupons are valid for the purchase of trees only from participating garden centers/nurseries.
- Only Pierce County residents are eligible at this time due to the source of funding.
- The coupons are not transferable or redeemable for cash.
- The minimum redemption value is $30.
- The maximum redemption value is $90.
Coupons are valid only at select tree retailers during the program season for $30 off trees that are at least five-gallon size. Coupons are valid from September 1, 2018 to April 1, 2019 or until funding is exhausted, for the 2018-19 season.