Start managing your home’s heating and cooling costs with a smart thermostat. For the average American household, almost half the annual energy bill goes to heating and cooling – more than $900 a year. Being smart about how you control your temperature settings will help you save money and stay comfortable in your home.
A smart thermostat is a wi-fi enabled device that automatically adjusts heating and cooling temperature settings for optimal performance. Smart thermostats that qualify for Tacoma Power's rebate have been independently certified, based on actual field data, to deliver energy savings.
- Provide convenience, insight and control.
- Learns the temperature you like and establishes a schedule that automatically adjusts to energy-saving temperatures when you are asleep or away
- Reports home energy use for tracking and management purposes
- Controls home heating and cooling remotely through a mobile device
- Save energy and money – smart thermostats allow you to monitor how much energy you are using which allows you to reduce your energy usage so you waste less and spend less.
- Greater control – settings can be adjusted remotely with an app on your mobile device.
- Easy to program – most smart thermostats are easy to use and program thanks to modern design screens and applications for mobile devices.
Energy savings and project costs will vary. Program requirements and rebate amounts are subject to change without notice. We do not endorse any particular contractor, manufacturer or product. We make no express or implied warranties of these products or installations.
REBATES & ELIGIBILITY
Tacoma Power offers property owners a $50 rebate towards the purchase and installation of a qualifying smart thermostat. The rebate is available for DIY or contractor installations.
Limitations: One rebate per heating system (maximum of 2 rebates per home/living unit)
- Thermostat must be listed on BPA's Qualifying Products List (QPL)
- Product must meet Tacoma Power’s Smart Thermostat Specifications
- Primary heating system must either be an electric forced air furnace or a CHP
- Thermostat features must include:
- 7 day programmable or learning-based scheduling
- Wi-fi enabled with remote access
- Occupancy detection
- Heat pump auxiliary heat control/optimization
Additional requirements for DIY projects/installations:
- Rebate applies only to material costs, not labor
- Rebate cannot exceed the cost of materials
Additional rebates may also be available from product manufacturers. Talk to your contractor about your options.
Back to top
Application Processing Time
It takes approximately four to six weeks to process applications.
Submitting your application
There are several ways to submit your application (listed below):
- Contractor - your contractor may offer to submit the application directly to Tacoma Power
- Email - submit the application along with all required documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax - (253) 502-8572
- Mail - Tacoma Power, CEP – Main Lobby, 3628 S. 35th St., Tacoma, WA 98409-3192
- In Person – Tacoma Public Utilities, Conservation Lobby, 3628 S. 35th St., Tacoma
For assistance, please call (253) 502-8363
Back to top