In evaluating funding requests, Tacoma Public Utilities must consider certain legal requirements set forth in the City Charter and the Washington State Constitution. Such funds need to serve a proper utility purpose, provide a benefit to the utility and not be in violation of the prohibition against gifts of public funds.
Proper utility purposes include:
- Investing in nonprofit capital projects aimed at power or water conservation.
- Promoting utility-related professional development of TPU employees and partners or activities that support recruitment for utility-specific jobs.
- Helping TPU practice environmental protection, stewardship or conservation in accordance with TPU's Environmental Policy.
- Building relationships and communicating with hard-to-reach audiences in ways similar, but not limited to:
- Creating opportunities for translation of TPU messaging (conservation, safety, etc.) for non-English speaking audiences
- Engaging with customers eligible for specific programs or discount rates
- Opportunities to educate customers about the relationship between power and water conservation and lower utility bills
We cannot accept requests for the following:
- Scholarships, donations for individuals to attend camps, schools, pageants, tours, trips, etc.
- Sports teams or sporting-related events
- Political organizations or candidates for political office
- Organizations that discriminate against any group
- Programs that promote or endorse a specific religious affiliation
- Enclosures with utility bills
- Programs outside of our service or project areas
- For-profit organizations
- More than one request per organization per year