Tacoma Power Internship
If you’re looking for real-world electrical engineering experience, you’ve come to the right place.
From day one, interns work on real projects under the guidance of experienced electrical engineers. We hire interns as Engineers In Training to do real engineering work, and we pay accordingly.
Tacoma Power Transmission & Distribution interns earn more than $25 an hour. And yes, we have hired interns as permanent Tacoma Power staff.
This internship is for electrical engineering students with an interest and emphasis in power.
For all other opportunities, please see the City of Tacoma Employment Page.
Summer Internship Contact
Ginny Larson, firstname.lastname@example.org
We accept resumes at career fairs only. We do not accept emailed resumes for our internship positions.
Representatives from Tacoma Power will be accepting resumes at the following career fairs:
- University of Washington SWE Career Fair on Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019
- Washington State University IEEE Career Fair on Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2019
- University of Idaho Career and Internship Fair on Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2019
- Seattle University Career and Internship Fair on Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2019
What to Expect
“Interning at Tacoma Power was a very positive experience. Everyone I’ve worked with at Tacoma has been extremely friendly and willing to teach me about their job and answer any questions I had. The experience I gained working with different software programs, knowledge of decision-making organizations in the industry and professional advice from coworkers has definitely made me more marketable. The summer goes by quickly, so I would recommend taking advantage of every opportunity at Tacoma Power as quickly as possible” – Mike, Intern 2010 & 2011
As an intern, you will have the opportunity to:
- Visit many different areas within Tacoma Power, Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail.
- Experience the inner-workings of Mossyrock Dam.
- Hear the history of the Tacoma Narrows Towers – Tacoma’s engineering marvels.
- Network with Tacoma Power employees.
- Have such a good time, you may even feel guilty.
Tacoma Power History
Tacoma Public Utilities was founded in 1893 and is one of the oldest and largest municipally owned utilities in the United States. Tacoma Power is one of three divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, which also includes Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail.
For more than 100 years, we have provided high-quality, competitively priced electric service. In 1998, we invested in a city-wide, fiber-optic telecommunications network called Click! Network. Today, we build upon a solid foundation of leadership, innovation, financial strength and consumer loyalty, which helps us remain successful in the ever-changing utility industry.
Tacoma Power provides electric service in Tacoma, Fircrest, University Place, Fife, Steilacoom, Lakewood and unincorporated Pierce County.