Disconnect and Reconnect Electric Service

If you need to de-energize overhead or underground fed electrical service for alterations or repairs, you can submit a request using the processes listed below.

Residential Disconnect/Reconnect

You must have an Electrical Permit and pay all applicable fees before scheduling a residential disconnect/reconnect. Disconnect requests must be submitted at least ten business days before the requested date. You can submit your request online or by calling 253-502-8460.

Commercial Disconnect/Reconnect

Tacoma Power Engineers evaluate commercial request needs and decide how to disconnect the electrical service and the associated costs. You must submit a Commercial Scheduled Disconnect/Reconnect Form at least ten business days before the requested disconnect date. An Electrical Permit is required before scheduling a disconnect.

Commercial Request Form

Disconnect for Tree Trimming or other Non-Electrical Work

To coordinate a disconnect for tree trimming or other non-electrical work, call 253-502-8729 at least ten business days in advance.

Please note the following:

Meter Tampering or Self-Connections

Meter tampering occurs, when there is unauthorized removal of a meter or meter seal, per Tacoma Municipal Code 12.06.140. Disconnecting or reconnecting of service conductors shall not be performed by anyone other than an authorized Tacoma Power representative. In cases where meter tampering or self-connections occur, the customer is responsible for fees or charges related to investigations, inspections, or billing.


To help ensure safety, quality and compliance, all electrical work in Tacoma Power’s Service Area requires an electrical permit and inspection per Tacoma Municipal Code 12.06A.210.

Apply for an electrical permit