Skip Navigation
Decrease Normal Increase

Start, Stop or Transfer Service

We make it easy to get moving

To start or stop your residential utility service, please call us at (253) 502-8600 at least one business day in advance.

Start a new service
When you start a new service, a service establishment fee of up to $21.60 - based on which utility services are requested - will be added to your first bill. There is no charge for stopping service.

Same-day new service requests made after 12 p.m. will be charged an additional $60 fee.

Re-connection fees
If your service has been disconnected because of non-payment, the re-connection fees will be:

  • Field collection call: All services $10
  • Credit re-connection fee (before 4 p.m.):  Power $12 | Water $12
  • Credit re-connection fee (after 4 p.m.)*:  Power $60 | Water $60
  • Credit re-connection fee at the pole (before 4 p.m.): Power $40
  • Credit re-connection fee at the pole (after 4 p.m.)*: Power $65
  • Credit re-connection fee underground (before 4 p.m. only): Power $75

Customers living in outlying areas of our service territory may be subject to different cutoff times and fees. Please call us at (253) 502-8600 for more information.

*After-hours charges apply if the payment is received after 4 p.m. that day and you want service re-connected that same day. You have the option to have your service re-connected the next business day at the day rate.

Property managers
Property managers requesting service for a new resident can find information here.

Residential Deposits

We require deposits from residential customers for power and water services. Waiver options may be available.

Deposit amounts:

  • Home: $200
  • Apartment buildings with one to four apartments: $200
  • Apartment buildings with five or more apartments: $100
  • Water: $75

Deposits are due 30 days from the start of service.

If we do not receive the deposit on time, services may be disconnected without notification.

Waiving Your Residential Deposit

Deposits may be waived for residential customers if:

    • You own the home or property. Mobile home owners must own the property their home is on.

    • You can supply a letter of satisfactory credit from another electric, gas or water utility for 12 consecutive months in the past two years.

    • The property owner contacts Tacoma Public Utilities to discuss owner guarantee options. However, if the guarantee is removed at any time for any reason, the customer on the account is required to pay the deposit.

Tacoma Public Utilities may request a deposit if a customer used a waiver option and failed to keep the account in good standing.

Paying Your Residential Deposit

Settle in with us

Pay your residential deposit by:

  • Setting up an account and paying online using MyAccount

  • Using one of our Pay Box machines

  • Mailing a check or money order to:
    Tacoma Public Utilities
    P.O. Box 11007
    Tacoma, WA 98411-0007
    Allow seven to 10 days for processing

  • Calling our automated line at (253) 502-8608 to pay by credit or debit card

  • Visiting our Customer Services lobby at 3628 S. 35th St. in Tacoma

We will apply your deposit to your bill after 12 consecutive months of good payment history.