Skip Navigation
Decrease Normal Increase

Service Construction Fees

Building or remodeling? We can help.

The Tacoma Water Permit Counter is open Monday - Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. We're scaling back our walk-in hours to better align with the needs of our customers who've told us they prefer to reach us online or by phone. 

NEW staff working hours for phone and email support: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 253-502-8247 or email us. 


If you're building and need a new or additional water service connection for fire protection or irrigation, you'll need to apply for a water service connection.

  • Print and complete our Residential Water Service Application and Agreement
  • Submit this form, along with all requests and payments for new residential water service, to our permit counter, located at 3628 S. 35th Street, Tacoma, 98409. 
    • Pay with a credit card by calling 253-502-8247 
    • Mail to P.O. Box 11007

All requests for construction permits require the availability of the proper amounts of domestic and fire protection water supply.

For residential service information, call (253) 502-8247.


Use our Residential Plat Service Application and Agreement when buying multiple service stubs during the construction of a formal plat in conjuction with the install of water mains. Submit this form, along with all requests and payments for new residential service stubs in a plat, to our permit counter, located at 3628 S. 35th St. in Tacoma. 

If you need to start or stop existing water service or change account information on an existing water service, contact Customer Services at (253) 502-8600 or make changes to your account online at

Get more specific information, terms and definitions in Tacoma Water's Regulations and Rates portion of the City of Tacoma Municipal Code.

Tacoma Water's Public Water System ID Number is: 86800N

If you need it, learn about Tacoma Power's electrical permitting process.

Land Use

You may have many questions about land use rights, permits and applications. Find answers to commonly asked land use questions on the City of Tacoma's website. 

For those wishing to work on or around Tacoma Public Utilities' land, we require land use permits for things like:

  • Log or rock hauling
  • Vehicle parking
  • Landscaping/gardening 
  • Signage
  • Ingress/egress - access

To apply, download and complete the Land Use Permit Application. Once complete, mail your application to the address listed on the form, or scan the document and email it to Melissa Luchini on our Real Property team. Completion of this application does not guarantee we can grant a permit.

Hydrant Rentals

If you need to use a fire hydrant for non-firefighting purposes, you'll need to apply for a hydrant use permit. Under some circumstances, a fire hydrant meter or water service and a meter could be required.

Business applications for hydrant use for more than six consecutive months could require purchase of a water service connection to accommodate water use. Associated costs are as follows:


Category #1 Fee 

Fixed (single) site construction project* 
Permittee is required to submit meter reads on a monthly basis.


Meter deposit for hydrant 
Deposit will be refunded after return of the meter and appurtenances. Costs for hydrant/meter repair/replacement caused by improper operations/theft will be deducted from your deposit.

Category #2 Fee

Multiple-site hydrant use* (approved hydrant locations)
A subcontractor will be able to use the same permit as the general contractor if all cross-connection requirements are met and your name is disclosed when the permit is issued.

Both the general and subcontractors will be required to submit a monthly log sheet of estimated water consumption per truck.

Category #3 Fee
Short-term (one day and minimal use) per truck per day (approved hydrant only) $50
Penalty for unauthorized use (All categories [1-3]) $1,000 
*Monthly water use charges at the inside/outside commercial rate will be based upon estimated consumption, plus the ready-to-serve charge for a two-inch meter.  

Contact us
For more information about hydrant rentals, contact the Water Customer Support Group at (253) 502-8247.

Construction Applications

Complete the online forms below to begin your construction process with Tacoma Water. 

Commercial Certificate of Water Availability

Commercial Pricing Estimate - Service Installation 

Hydrant Use Permit

Occupancy/Backflow Assembly Inspection Request

Residential Certificate of Water Availability

Residential Pricing Estimate - Fees for New Single Family Dwelling 

Tap & Connection Payoff Amount