Skip Navigation
Decrease Normal Increase

Cross Connection How To

Get Your Plumbing Permit

Complete Your Paperwork Or Have Your Tester Help You
Before you start on your fire sprinkler system - or any project that requires cross connection control - you'll need a plumbing permit. Get a permit from the authority with jurisdiction over your home or business. This is often your city or county's building and permit department.

While jurisdictions issue the permits, Tacoma Water is ultimately responsible for all cross connections.

Jurisdiction permit information:
Tacoma - Building and Land Use Office
Federal Way - Permit Center
Fircrest - Building Permits
King County - Environmental Health Services
Lakewood - Building Permits
Pierce County - Planning and Land Services
Puyallup -Building Services
Ruston - Permits & Licenses
University Place - Building, Plumbing & Mechanical Permits

Test & Inspect Your Backflow Assembly

Any state certified backflow assembly tester can test your assembly. View our list of certified backflow assembly testers.

Tacoma Water must inspect all new assemblies upon installation and conduct periodic re-inspections. Submit your online inspection request form to get started.

If you select a tester not on our list, please ensure that the tester provides us with copies of their current state certification and test equipment calibration certificates. We will not accept test reports from testers that have not provided that information.

Tacoma Water does not verify the status of tester business licenses. We only verify that the testers on our list are certified by the state and that their test equipment is calibrated. The customer and/or tester is responsible for ensuring all local licensing requirements have been met.

Customers may pre-select a backflow assembly tester; Tacoma Water will automatically send the annual test due notice directly to the tester on behalf of the customer. The authorization will remain valid until cancelled by the customer or tester. Tacoma Water will cancel the authorization when there is a change in property ownership.

If you wish to participate in this program, please select the link below.

Backflow Assembly Tester Authorization Form: For Customer

Authorized Tester Participation Form: For Testers


Submit Test Report to Tacoma Water

Tacoma Water accepts most versions of backflow assembly test reports, provided they are completed in accordance with our guidelines and contain all of the information on the Tacoma Water test report form.

Backflow Assembly Test Report Form

Instructions for Completing the Backflow Assembly Test Report Form

Acceptance Requirements for Backflow Assembly Test Reports

Join the Backflow Assembly Tester List

If you are a backflow assembly tester and would like to be included on the tester list we distribute to our customers, please select the link below and submit the tester list request form.

The order in which we list testers is randomly generated each month. Testers remain listed for the current calendar year, provided their test kit calibration information is current with Tacoma Water. 

Tester List Request Form

Current Tester List