You will need to provide the following information:
- Your name, address, phone number, email address and fax number
- The date of your request
- Specific nature of your request to include: a description of the requested records (title, subject, date, policy, account number, etc.), inspection number, if applicable, the number of copies you need and your correct mailing address(es).
Make a request via our online submission form
Print out the Records Request form
or use your own paper and mail it to:
Public Records Officer
Tacoma Public Utilities
Management Services Office
PO Box 11007
Tacoma, WA 98411Email
Email a request or attach the completed Records Request form
to your email and send it to email@example.com
Print out the Records Request form
or use your own paper and fax it to (253) 502-8598 attention: James Kauffman. Phone
If you cannot submit your public records request in writing, you may call the Tacoma Public Utilities Public Records Office at (253) 779-7090.
Questions? Contact James Kauffman
at (253) 779-7090
Black and white copies
- We charge 15 cents per page (8x11).
- There may be additional charges for rush orders, special mailings or oversized materials. If you would like a cost estimate before processing, please include that with your initial request.
Electronic (email attachments, on disk or other media)
- We do not charge a fee for records sent as email attachments.
- We do charge for records on CDs or DVDs.
- Scanning fees of 10 cents per page apply.
- Please note that some responses contain many pages. We send approximately 100 pages of records in an email attachment. We will send multiple emails with that size attachment to provide the records you requested. Your server must be able to handle that amount of information.
In person at Tacoma Public Utilities
- There is no fee for inspecting public records.
- You must arrange for an inspection time in advance.
- Inspections must take place between 8 a.m. and noon, and 1 to 5 p.m. weekdays, except state-recognized holidays
- After inspection, you can ask staff to make copies. Staff can send the copies electronically or make paper copies.
Payments must be made by cash, money order or check payable to the City Treasurer
Large requests may require:
- A deposit of 10% of the estimated cost of copies before they are made
- That staff provide copies in installments
- Advance payment before providing further installments
We may require a deposit equal to 10% of the estimated cost prior to duplication of records. In the event we require a deposit, we will notify you. If the duplication and deposit fees equal less than the amount you deposit, we will return the difference to you.
If you have not reviewed or claimed your requested records within 30 days of notice that the records are available, or if you fail to pay, the Public Records Office may close the request.
Rights of others
If records you request contain information that might affect the rights of others, the public records officer may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties before providing the records.
Later discovered documents
After a request is filled, the Public Records Office may become aware of additional documents that existed during the time of the request. We will provide those promptly.
Your public records request cannot be kept confidential. Your request becomes public record and can be requested by others. The public records officer or designee forwards public records requests to the departments holding records and to third parties who have interest in the records you request.