Tacoma Public Utilities, in accordance with the Washington State Public Records Act RCW 42.56, allows for the inspection or copies of records unless specifically exempted by law. After submitting a request, you may be contacted to clarify your request or to coordinate delivery of records.
Public records are any writing prepared, owned, used, or retained by us, regardless of physical form, that reflect the conduct or performance of the utility. Also a valid public record request seeks a specific and identifiable public document. This does not include a general request for information. If you are not aware of the title of a specific record, please provide additional information such as subject matter, dates, location or the persons/issues involved, and the account numbers which will help staff locate records responsive to your specific request.
How we respond to the request
We will respond to your request within five business days with any of the following:
- Make records available for inspection or copying
- Provide a web link on the city's web site to the specific records requested
- Acknowledge your request and provide a reasonable estimate of when records will be available
- Seek clarification of unclear requests
- Deny your request with an explanation