Skip Navigation
Decrease Normal Increase

Payment Assistance



payment help

We understand the challenges that come with paying bills when finances are limited.  Tacoma Public Utilities offers a variety of payment options, services and programs to help make paying your utility bill more manageable.  We even offer free online resources that provide tools and tips for lowering your power and water bills.





Whether you are facing a short-term financial strain or are on a limited income, TPU offers various ways to help manage your utility account.  We also offer tools to automate your payments or set automatic reminders.

Payment Arrangements - If you are unable to pay your bill by the due date, call our 24-hour automated customer service line at (253) 502-8608 as soon as possible to request payment arrangements.  Making payments arrangements early provides greater flexibility and helps to ensure there is no disruption in your service.

Budget Billing - Residential customers who have had service for at least 12 months may enroll in Budget Billing.  With Budget Billing, you pay the same amount for your utilities each month.  On the 12th month, your budget billing amount will be recalculated for the next 12 months.  This allows you to accurately plan for and create a budget for your utility expenses.

MyAccount MyAccount allows you to manage your utility account online any time you want. You can pay using a credit or debit card with the Visa, MasterCard or Discover logo, or by transferring money directly from your checking or savings account. You can also track your payments, view your bill and usage history, enroll in paperless billing and access many more self-service payment options.

AutoPay - Available through MyAccount, AutoPay is a convenient, automatic payment option that allows you to automatically pay your Tacoma Public Utilities bill using a credit/debit card or a bank account. Your payment will be charged to your specified account the date your bill is due.  To enroll in AutoPay,  register for MyAccount and select the "AutoPay" button to enroll and follow the instructions from there.

Energy Efficiency Rebate Programs - Tacoma Power offers a variety of rebate programs, loans and income-qualified grants to help make energy efficiency improvements to your home.  

Energy Efficiency Tools & Resources Making your home or business more energy efficient is a great first step to reducing energy costs.  We offer a variety of tools and resources to help you understand your energy use so you can start saving energy and money.  A few of these resources include:

Back to Top



The Federal Government offers seasonal assistance known as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).  The program is designed to assist  qualifying, low-income households in meeting their immediate home energy needs.

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Washington and your household must pay for home heating costs (either directly or through rent).

LIHEAP Income Eligibility Requirements:

Household Size 










Maximum Monthly Household Income













City of Tacoma Residents

Pierce County Residents
(Outside the City of Tacoma)

Making a Difference in Community

(253) 572-5557

Pierce County 
Human Services

1 (855) 798-HEAT
1 (855) 798-4328







Tacoma Public Utilities and Environmental Services offer the following programs to income-eligible customers who meet the criteria specified below.

Discount Rate Program

This program offers a 30% discount on electricity, drinking water, solid waste and recycling as well as surface water.  Criteria:

  • Must be 62 years or older OR currently receiving disability income
  • Single occupant, head of household or spouse of the head of household
  • Qualifying customers must live in the home full-time (must be primary residence)
  • Household meets the income guidelines (see chart below)
  • Residential, single-metered service (meter cannot be shared with another unit or structure 
Income Guidelines for Bill Credit Assistance and Discount Rate Programs:

Household Size










Maximum Monthly Household Income











Bill Credit Assistance Plan

Customers eligible for this program can receive up to $468 annually.  Bill credits are earned each time the utility bill is paid in-full and on-time.  Criteria:

  • Current TPU account where bills are sent directly to the customer  
  • Qualifying customers must live in the home full-time (must be the primary residence)

  • Household meets the income guidelines (see chart)

  • Residential, single-metered service (meter cannot be shared with another unit or structure)
Back to Top




To apply for one of the utility assistance programs, start by completing the following: 

Applications must be submitted with all required documents in order to be processed.

Required Documentation
Please provide information for all members of your household.  A household member is anyone who lives in your home and uses electricity, water and other utilities.  This includes all persons, related or not.
Please provide photocopies of the following:

  • Government-issued picture ID for each household member 18 years of age and older
  • Social Security cards for each person living in the household. Children under 18 years of age who do not have Social Security cards, may use a DSHS document that shows household members by name or a certified birth certificate.
  • Income verification for each household member for the three months prior to the month of application.  Income sources may include the following: 
  • Paycheck Stubs
  • State Labor & Industry L&I or VA benefits
  • Retirement pension/IRA
  • DSHS (Lifeline/ABD, TANF)
  • SSI/SSDI award letter
  • Rental property income
  • Self-employment verification
  • Child Support
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Interest/dividends/annuities
  • All household members 18 years and older who are listed as having zero income must provide a WIA001 form from WorkSource.  Please provide a statement of how each member has been able to meet his/her basic needs such as food, shelter, utilities, etc.
  • If disabled, provide your most recent SSI or Social Security "Benefit Award" letter to show the amount you are receiving. If you do not have a copy of your current letter, contact the Social Security Administration one of the following ways:
  • If you are a renter applying for the Discount Rate Program, you must provide a copy of your rental agreement.

Bring the completed application, signed agreement and all required documentation, to Tacoma Public Utilities between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday-Friday. 

Additional documents that may be required if they apply to you: 

Tacoma Public Utilities
Customer Solutions Office
3628 S. 35th St.
Tacoma, WA 98409