Skip Navigation
Decrease Normal Increase

MyAccount FAQ's



Below you will find answers to the most frequently asked questions about MyAccount.  Questions are divided into the following sections:

You can jump to a particular section by clicking on the links above.


What is MyAccount?

MyAccount allows you to manage your utility account online any time you want. You can pay using a credit or debit card with the Visa, MasterCard or Discover logo, or by transferring money directly from your checking or savings account. You can also track your payments, view your bill and usage history, enroll in paperless billing and access many more self-service payment options.

Can anyone use MyAccount?

MyAccount is available to residential and commercial customers with a City of Tacoma utility account. Register now at

What web browser do I need to access MyAccount?

MyAccount is compatible with Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 11 and Apple Safari. 

You may encounter difficulty using the site if Internet Explorer is set to “compatibility view.” For the best experience, please disable this setting by following the steps outlined below: 

  • Select the “Tools” option from the Internet Explorer menu bar at the top of the page
  • Click “Compatibility View settings”
  • Highlight “” from the box that lists the websites you’ve added to Compatibility View
  • Click the “Remove” button to the right
  • On that same screen, uncheck the following:
    • “Display intranet sites in Compatibility View”
    • “Use Microsoft compatibility lists”
    • Click the “Close” button

If you are running Windows 10 or higher and Microsoft Edge is your default browser, you may experience stability issues with payment processing. To ensure a more seamless experience, add TPU”s payment partner, Trust Commerce, to your list of “Trusted sites” by following the steps below: 

  • Select the Microsoft Edge icon at the bottom of your screen
  • Open the “Internet Options” tab in Edge (click on the 3 small dots in the top right hand corner of your browser –see picture)
  • Click the “Security” tab
  • Highlight “Trusted sites”
  • Click the “Sites” button
  • In the “Add this website to the zone” field, enter:
  • Click the “Add” button
  • Check the box: “Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone”
  • Click “Close”
  • Click “Okay”
  • You will have to restart your computer for the change to take effect

If you would like to download a different web browser, click on one of the links below: 

How do I know the site is secure?

Look for the “padlock” icon on the status bar of the web browser when submitting information. You should also see the “https” in the URL address to be sure transmitted information is secure. The “s” stands for “secure."


How do I view my bill?

You can access up to 24 months of bills on the “Financial Overview” page. Choose the invoice date or the PDF icon for the bill you would like to view. You must have Adobe Reader installed on your computer.  

Where can I find more information on the website?

Hover over the blue question mark icons throughout the MyAccount website for more information.  

Why can I no longer change my garbage service online?

Garbage service is provided by the City of Tacoma’s Solid Waste department. For questions about garbage service, please contact the Solid Waste customer service department at

How can I get information on my City of Tacoma Tax & License account? 

Tax and licensing is handled by the City of Tacoma.  Please contact them directly at:

Back to top 




What information do I need to register for MyAccount?

You need to have your utility account number, along with a valid email address and the name of the person listed first on your bill. You will be asked to choose and answer three security questions. These answers will be used to verify your identity if you ever forget your password.

If you have problems with registration, please contact customer service at (253) 502-8600 or toll free at (800) 752-6745. Register online today at

Can I choose my own user ID?

You can create your own user ID when you register your account. It is not case sensitive but it must be between 6-20 characters and different than your email address and password. Once registered, you have the option of logging in with your user ID or your account number.

What are the password requirements for MyAccount?

For your security, passwords are case sensitive and must be 6-20 characters and include at least one letter and one number.

Can my spouse or roommate also register for MyAccount?

The only person who can register for MyAccount is the one is listed first on your utility bill. 

Where do I register for MyAccount?

Register today at  On the MyAccount home page, select the “Register Account” button and follow the instructions. 

Back to top



Can I make a payment on someone else’s account?

Yes.  If you have the utility account number, you can make a payment on any account using a Visa, MasterCard or Discover card by selecting the “Quick Pay” option on the MyAccount home page.  This option doesn’t require logging into or registering for MyAccount. Try Quick Pay today at

Will I receive a confirmation when I make a payment through Quick Pay?

Yes.  You will have the option to either print the payment confirmation page or receive an electronic confirmation at the email address you provided.

Is there a charge to make a payment with MyAccount?

No.  There are no fees to pay with a credit or debit card, bank account or savings account.

What forms of payment can I use to pay my bills?

We accept all Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit or debit cards.  You may also transfer money directly from your checking or savings account. You can select either option when you specify the form of payment you would like to you to pay your bill.   

How long will it take to process my payment?

Credit and debit card payments process immediately. Recurring AutoPay payments using credit or debit card will be posted to the account the date the bill is due.

Bank account payments and recurring AutoPay payments deducted from your checking or savings account will be posted to your utility account the date the bill is due. If you are paying on or after the due date, your payment will be posted to your utility account within three business days.

Will I be able to view payments I’ve mailed in on MyAccount?

Yes.  You can view all of the payments made to your account online, no matter how you made them.

What is AutoPay?

AutoPay is a convenient, automatic payment option. You can pay your Tacoma Public Utilities bill automatically and worry-free using a credit or debit card with the Visa, MasterCard or Discover logo, or with a bank account through our secure process. Your payment will be charged to your specified credit or debit card or bank account on the due date of your bill.

How can I change the bank account or credit or debit card that I’m currently using for AutoPay?

If you are using a checking or savings account for AutoPay payments, you can change your existing bank account details by selecting the “edit” button for that bank account on the AutoPay screen. 

If you are enrolled in AutoPay and would like to change your current payment method, you will first need to cancel the current service.  Once cancelled, you can re-enroll in AutoPay with your new payment details. 

To make the change: 

  • Select the “Payment options” tab from the menu
  • Select the “AutoPay” button
  • Select either the “Bank account(s)” or “Credit or debit card(s)” tab at the top of the screen
  • Select the account you would like to change
  • Read and check the box to accept the terms and conditions for the cancellation
  • Select the “Cancel AutoPay” button
  • Select either the “Bank account(s)” or “Credit or debit card(s)” tab at the top of the screen
  • If the new payment method is not currently on file, you will need to add your bank account or credit/debit card information by selecting the “Add New Bank Account” button or the “Add New Card” button
  • Following the prompts and provide the payment details
  • Once your payment details are successfully stored, select the “Continue” button
  • Select either the “Bank account(s)” or “Credit or debit card(s)” tab at the top of the screen
  • Select the account you would like to use for enrollment
  • Read and check the box to accept the terms and conditions for enrollment
  • Choose the payment account from the drop down
  • Select the “Confirm” button

 Back to top 





Can I get an extension on my bill through MyAccount?

Yes.  You can extend your due date by selecting the “Payment options” tab from the menu and choosing “Payment agreements.”

Can I view my payment agreements online?

Yes.  You can view payment agreement details by selecting the “Payment options” tab from the menu and choosing “Payment agreements.”

If I select a weekend day or holiday for the due date of my payment agreement, when is the payment actually due?

Your payment will be due on the first business day following the weekend or holiday. Remember that credit and debit card payments are processed immediately, while payments made through your bank account may take up to three days to post.

Back to top



Can I change my due date so that it is the same day each month?

You may select an alternate due date by clicking the “payment options” tab from the menu and choosing the option to “set alternate due date.” The alternate due date is based on when your meter is read and would take effect during your next billing cycle.

What if my alternate due date falls on a weekend or holiday?

The due date will be the first business day following the weekend or holiday.

How do I cancel my alternate due date?

You can cancel your alternate due date by contacting our customer service department at (253) 502-8600 or toll free at (800) 752-6745.  The department is open Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. 

Back to top 



Can I enroll in paperless billing on MyAccount?

To request notification of new bills via email: 

  • Select the “Profile” tab from the menu
  • Choose “My profile”
  • Select the “Edit Profile” button
  • Scroll down to the “Billing options” section and select “Paperless bill”
  • Select the “Save Changes” button 

This will enroll all your open accounts in paperless billing.

Do I have to enroll in paperless billing for each of my accounts?

No.  Enrolling in paperless billing will automatically apply to all of your accounts.

Where can I find the balance of my power assistance pledge credit?

You can find the balance of your power assistance pledge credit on the first page of your bill in the upper right hand corner.  

What message options do I have?

You can sign-up to get email and/or text message reminders for the following:

  • Payment due dates
  • Payment agreement due dates
  • Upcoming AutoPay withdrawals
  • General communications from Tacoma Public Utilities 

To sign up for email and/or text message reminders: 

  • Select the “Profile” tab from the menu
  • Select “My profile”
  • Select the “Edit Profile” button
  • Scroll down to the “Message options” section and check the box(s) for your message preferences. You can choose both email and text messages.
  • If you select a text message reminder, enter your mobile number and carrier
  • Read and check the box to accept the free service
  • Select the “Save Changes” button 

You can make changes or unsubscribe at any time. 

Why didn’t I receive my message reminder?

Both your mobile carrier and number must be updated on the website when you make a change, even if you are keeping the same mobile number. 

How can I tell if I have past due charges?

The red triangle icon will display next to the amount shown in the “Current balance” field when the amount includes past due charges or charges that will appear on your next bill, such as service establishment fees, late fees, etc.

Back to top 



If I have more than one account, how do I manage them online?

Once you’ve logged in, choose the account that you would like to view or edit, then select the account number hyperlink from the overview. You can switch to a different account by choosing the “Select a different account” hyperlink at the top of the screen, or by selecting the “Account(s)” tab from the menu and choosing “Summary of accounts."

Is there a way to search for a specific account if I have multiple?

You can find a specific account number on the “Summary of accounts” page quickly by pressing the “Ctrl” button and the “F” button together to activate the “Find” feature for your web browser. Type the account number in the “Find” field of the web browser and select the enter button. The account number that you’ve entered will be highlighted on the list of account numbers.

Can I hide closed accounts from the Account Summary screen?

Accounts with a zero balance will automatically be hidden after 18 months from the date that you moved out.

Can I pay multiple accounts in a single transaction?

The consolidated payment option allows business customers to pay multiple accounts in a single transaction using a Visa, MasterCard or Discover credit or debit card OR a checking/savings account. 

To use the “consolidated payment” option:

  • Select “consolidated payment” under the “Account” tab from the menu
  • Select a payment method
  • Select the “Continue” button
  • Check “Select all” to designate eligible accounts to pay or choose individual accounts
  • Select “Continue” button
  • Select the “Pay” button 
Can I pay multiple accounts in a single transaction if I’m not a business customer?

Residential customers with multiple accounts can request access to the “consolidated payment option” by contacting our customer services business solutions center at (253) 502-8606.  The department is open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. 

How are accounts displayed in the consolidated payment view?

Accounts are displayed by due date with the oldest date appearing first. Accounts with a zero or credit balance will appear at the end. Ineligible accounts cannot be selected for payment on the website. 

Can I change the payment amount when using consolidated payment?

Yes, if paying with a credit or debit card. Payments made with a bank account can only be made for the amount due. 

Can I request additional payment confirmation emails when I use the consolidated payment option?

Yes.  A confirmation email will automatically be sent to the email listed in “My Profile.” You may also request an electronic confirmation on the payment confirmation page.

Back to top




Can I sign up for new service online if I’ve never been a TPU customer?

You can submit a request to start a new service by selecting the “Start Service” button on the home page at You will need the full name(s) and social security number(s) for yourself and your spouse/roommate(s), and the address where you would like to start service.

Where do I go to start, stop or transfer service?

Once you’re logged into MyAccount, select the “start or stop service” tab from the menu, choose the option that applies and follow the prompts.

Is there a fee to start or stop service?

There is a $21.60 service fee to start service, which will be added to our first bill.  The amount is based on which utility service(s) is requested. There is no charge for stopping service.

Back to top



What is Budget Billing?

Budget Billing is a consistent monthly utility payment amount. Budget Billing monthly payments are calculated as follows: 

  • Your electricity bill for the past 12 months divided by 11 and rounded to the nearest whole dollar
  • Your water bill for the past 12 months divided by 11 and rounded to the nearest whole dollar
  • Fixed monthly charges for Solid Waste, Surface Water and Wastewater utility services, if applicable 

On the 12th month, which is the anniversary of your plan start date, we will recalculate your monthly charge for the next 12 months based on the previous year’s data. All debits or credits from the previous budget billing term are divided by 12 and applied to next year’s budget amount.

Can I enroll in Budget Billing online?

Yes.  You can enroll in Budget Billing through MyAccount. 

To enroll: 

  • Select the “Payment options” tab from the menu
  • Select “Budget Billing Plan”
  • Select from the enrollment options and follow the prompts based on your selection
  • Read and accept the terms of agreement for the enrollment
  • Select the “Submit” button 

Customers with a past due balance can also enroll in budget billing. MyAccount will build the balance into your monthly payments.

What accounts can I enroll in Budget Billing?

Budget Billing is currently available to residential customers with metered services.

If your enrollment request is close to your next billing date and you are having trouble enrolling, please try again after you’ve received your bill.

If you have an existing payment agreement or there is less than 12 months of usage history for the account, you can contact customer service at (253) 502-8600 or toll free at (800) 752-6745.  The department is open Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

Back to top



Who can I talk to about an account in collections?

If you received a letter from Municipal Services Bureau (MSB), a credit/collections agency, please contact their office directly to settle your unpaid debt. Tacoma Public Utilities is unable to accept payments or make payment agreements on accounts in collections.

Once your outstanding utility account debt is sent to MSB, it is your responsibility to resolve the matter directly with their office. MSB has skilled staff to help you settle your debt. To contact MSB, please call (800) 616-0166.  Their offices are open Monday - Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Saturdays, 6:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Customers cannot open a new account with Tacoma Public Utilities until the amount in collections is paid in full.

Back to top